Friday, June 28, 2019

Creating Short Term Goals In Your Writing

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, here on the blog, about Parkinson's Law. This is the idea that when you give someone additional time to finish a project, instead of finishing the project early, he or she will end up spreading the project out to fit that extended timeline. In other words, a project that could take just 2 weeks to complete, if that person is given 2 additional weeks, the project will mysteriously need those additional two weeks.

Today, I wanted to take the time to look at this same concept with your writing and creating deadlines for yourself. No, I am not talking about a deadline when you will get a partial to your critique group, or when you plan on finishing the book. I am talking about daily deadlines and goals.

I am someone who always works with a "to-do" list every day. During the summer, I really utilize my Outlook Task bar. During the year, I find it is a sheet of paper with that list. Sometimes, it is a list on my whiteboard over my desk. Regardless of the format of the to-do list, I still have one. For many, they use the list to insure they don't forget the projects that need to get done. For me, these are deadlines. I not only have projects on there, but I have appointments that need to be accomplished that day as well. Those appointments become the deadlines to get other projects finished.

Writers can do the same thing, but on an hourly schedule. When you sit down to write that day, create a timeline for what you have to get done. Where do you need to be every 30 minutes or every hour? This will accomplish two things. The first, it will keep you writing knowing you have to get finished with that section to move on to the next task. Secondly, it will give you a reward. If you finish early, you have a longer break to get a snack, walk the dog, or get a piece of housework done.

Swimmers fully understand this concept. As you know, my son is a competitive swimmer. Each day at practice, his coaches provide them sets to complete during a certain time period. If you just "make the set" the coach has worked in a quick breather. However, finishing the set faster will allow you to get a longer break.

Let me know other techniques you utilize to keep your writing on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment