Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Always Look For Options

We are hard at work here at Greyhaus with one of my clients looking for some new directions to take her writing. We are, essentially, looking for ways to re-brand her writing to maximize her strengths. What we are doing right now is something you should always be doing with your writing.

Let me first say, I am not encouraging you to jump all over the place with your writing and to leap on every new trend out there. Let me explain.

Assume you are a historical author. You have a great focus going for you right now with your writing and, whether or not you are published yet or not, things feel like everything is heading in a positive direction. This does not mean, however, that you do not look for ways to enhance what you are doing. So if you are writing single title Victorian romances, is there an opportunity to take some of those story starts (the projects you thought might work but didn't do much with) and turn those into short novellas or short stories? This might be a way to increase your presence out there without putting in a lot of extra work.

When I attend conferences or talk to editors, I often will have my brain spinning thinking of new ways to take my authors and their careers. Again, I am not having them shift lines or genres, but to use what they have and increase their potential.

So, what things can you do today to increase your potential? What options are out there that you may have not tried yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment