Thursday, August 13, 2020

How We Read New Submissions

 I thought I would give you some insight into how I personally approach reading new submissions that come into Greyhaus. Please note that everyone does things a bit differently, but, in the end, we are all looking for that great story that we believe will sell and an author we feel we can work with. 

Let me walk you through the steps:

  1. Decide if the submission is even something I represent. This includes word count and genre.
  2. Decide if the individual has followed the guidelines for submission. If an author does not follow those guidelines because they wanted to do something else, this tells me a lot about their ability to follow directions, take guidance, or their knowledge of the business.
  3. Read the query letter (or form) give me a premise and a concept that sounds unique, marketable, and interesting. The query letter and additional information also tells me their knowledge of the business, if they have an understanding of where their story falls in the market, and if their vision of their career is realistic.
  4. At this point, I ask for more, or pass.
  5. Now that the additional material comes in, I start first with the synopsis. Since all I had was a blurb, I want to see the over-all layout of the story. This gives me a sense of the writer having a clear vision of his/her story.
  6. Assuming that is good, I move to the writing. Does this show that the writer has a command for their voice, understand that they know how and when to use devices and so forth. This is the chance to really see the writing. 
  7. At this point, I ask for more or pass.
  8. Assuming we get to a full manuscript, I go back and repeat 5 and 6 again. Now we examine the writing to insure that the author can maintain that voice throughout the end of the novel.
  9. I have also asked for additional information from the author. This might be other projects, their bio, etc. Now I am looking at the author as well.
  10. Assuming all of that is good, I will often call the author to chat. This is a chance to get to know who the author is, as well as a chance for them to ask questions. Even if I am pretty confident that I might sign this author, I do not let the author make the decision on the phone. I want them to take the time to think it through before we do anything else. 
Pretty straight forward, but hopefully this helps out!


No comments:

Post a Comment