Monday, December 7, 2020

Feedback After A Submission - We Wish We Could Do More

When I get a submission, I always send a response back to the author. Personally, I feel it is a professional obligation to at least acknowledge the receipt of a project. I am not one of those people who feel that a no answer is a no. I am not sure who started that, but even major companies use the line (Due to the high volume, you may not hear back from us...) Sorry, but that is wrong. In any case, I do try to write something.

Of course, when I do write something, I often get an author who really wants a lot more in a response. I like this in an author. That person will have the drive to go somewhere because he or she is determined to grow and learn. Unfortunately, providing more of an answer is really not something that is going to happen. It is not because I do not care. It is due to the time constraints.

A while back, I timed my response to an initial query. This is that first contact an author makes with an agent or editor. From the time I open the email, read the email, think about the project and respond...on a fast day, I could answer one every 4-5 minutes. That means that I can only get to 12 an hour. These are just the first reads. 

Now, what about the requested submissions? When it comes down to reading the synopsis, reading the partial, making quick notes, and then emailing, you are looking at roughly 30 minutes for a partial. 

I know you are thinking that isn't that bad. We have all day... Ah, but wait, we also have reading our own clients' works, writing proposals to them, answering emails and so forth.

So, going into a full developmental line edit of your submission truly is a lot. So I compromise. I try to tell you what it was, in general, that did not work for me. It might have been a subjective call that says it just didn't connect with me. It might be a voice issue. It might be a character flaw or a conflict issue. I try to give you a bit of a nugget. 

I want you to also remember that in many cases, what doesn't work for me might work for someone else. Don't give up. Take those nuggets you get and work with those idea. It will happen. It just might take some time and some more education.  

No comments:

Post a Comment