Wednesday, June 26, 2024

#MSWL Time And Other Things I Am Interested In



Well, it is that time again to let you know the things I am EAGERLY looking for. 

As always, before I start this list, I want to say, please, make sure to visit my website to get the exact specifics. For those of you living on Query Tracker and Query Manager, I am going to say the same thing. Don't just click buttons and think that Greyhaus acquires everything. I ONLY acquire traditional romance and women's fiction.

#MSWL

I am still looking for individuals who want to write for, or are currently writing for publishers such as TULE, ENTANGLED and HARLEQUIN. You need to know their lines, and know exactly what they are looking for. DO NOT just assume if you have a word count that matches, that is the line. When you send your query letter to me, show me comps in that same line and show me how your story is similar. I do not want carbon copies of what is out there. 

I am looking for single title contemporary projects. These need to focus on a single relationship (hint: remember that in romance, the central story arc is following the relationship). I want to see a real conflict that is keeping the two characters together. This is not just them accepting that they like each other. I am not interested in stories that are forced, or full of those standard tropes. You can use the tropes sparingly, but don't go overboard. A few things to avoid with me include: not a big fan of duel POV, few can write great 1st person so you might want to avoid that; adultery is an automatic rejection with me; steam and hot stories are fine, but if you are adding it, just to add it, I will pass (these scenes need to add to the story).

Historical romance and women's fiction. I am really looking for stories set beginning around WWI through the end of the WWII. The story needs to still be a romance!

Women's Fiction - I want stories that show the world through the female lens. I want stories that take us on a journey through an exploration of a pivotal moment in the woman's life. Think about book club fiction that promotes discussion and brings the reader in thinking about their own life. I am no looking for stories with a ton of problems the character has to deal with. Focus on one thing. If you think about UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN (the book, not the movie), even though this is non-fiction, the story represents Frances undergoing a change in the way she sees the world though the work she does on the house. I like the Italy section of EAT, PRAY, LOVE because we see the same type of transformation (the rest of the book just became episodic). These need to be stories that the reader can connect with. 

Romantasy - I am going to throw this one in, but honestly, I think this trend is going to go out as fast as it came in. Let me just say, I am not looking for a FANTASY romance, but a Romantasy. I do not want knock offs of, Sarah J. Maas, Anna Huang, Lauren Asher, & Lauren Roberts. Show me in your query letter how your story A) fits this market; and B) how it brings something new to the table. 

Other than the TULE, ENTANGLE and HARLEQUIN lines, word counts should be 75K to 110K.

No comments:

Post a Comment