Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Before Going To A Writing Conference

This felt like a timely post. I will be heading out to a writing conference this coming weekend. I know I am taking the time to prepare, but the question is, are the writers taking time to prepare. No, this is more than figuring out what to wear and whether or not you have all of your manuscripts on the computer so you can work. This is about know who is coming, what they are presenting, and, if you are thinking of pitching, what do these people represent.

People often ask, how many people I have signed from being at a conference. The number, surprisingly is VERY low. You would think that meeting the author face to face and having a chance to really talk to them and have them sell me on their project, it would be higher. That would be true, had those people done their homework. Let me explain.

Let's say I am taking pitches at a conference. The coordinator will generally give you about 5 authors an hour to meet with. That gives them 10 minutes to pitch their story. Yes, I know there are those speed pitches but to be honest, those are terrible for everyone. Rejections are infinitely higher for those. In any case, I might only see 10 authors in that 2 hour period. Sure, I could see more if I sit all day, but 2 hours is generally the standard. But wait, there's more.

The conference will give authors a booklet with our bios. They may also have a website with all of the intel on each of us. But wait, there's still more. They might even set up an editor agent panel where we talk about what we represent. I know when I have gone to the Pacific Northwest Writer's Conference, they can fill a full ball room (all the walls down) with seats so you can listen to us tell you everything you need to know. 

You would think this is the ultimate goody bag, right?

And yet, authors just do not do their research. Remember those 10-20 authors I might see? Over 50% will pitch me a story that I do not represent. 

You see, these authors are so eager to pitch, they often just sign up for anyone who has an opening. Again, at one of the Pacific Northwest Writer's Conference, they give you a time slot and you can just line up for any editor or agent who is sitting at a table. I watched one gentleman just start at one end of the room and move from one editor/agent to the next pitching the story. He had no clue who these people were, what they represented, or even if his story was going to be something they liked. No one wanted his work. By about halfway through that line, he started to change his pitch showing how it could be made into a screenplay, how the two characters could have a romance so it would fit for me here at Greyhaus.... The list was endless.

You need to know, before you go to a conference if there is anyone there that would even consider your story. If not, DO NOT PITCH!!!! This is not a chance to take up the time to practice, or ask questions. When you do that, you are taking up a slot from someone who might genuinely have a better chance. 

As I always say, our information is VERY clear and easily accessible on our websites. We do go to a conference actually looking to find new clients. We are not here to make things difficult for you. We are not coming in with a hidden agenda.

But you have to do your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment