Sunday, June 23, 2024

When Do I Check Back With An Editor Or Agent

I spent a lot of time this last weekend answering emails from authors who sent a query to me 6-8 months ago. Now they are posting on my social media accounts stating they have not heard back from me. But, here is the problem. I looked on my notes and found I had responded not once but two times. What these people were not paying attention was the fact that I stated I answer ALL submissions within 3 months of submission.

All editors and agents state on their guidelines when you should expect an answer. There are some who openly state they only answer those who they want to see more from (Not my choice but hey, they want to do it that way).

So, when do you check back? Give them a week or two after the deadline they set and reach out. Watch your tone. Be polite but please check back.

You have to remember that editors and agents are very busy. There are more of you than us. Please also remember that you are working with the Internet. Have you ever lost something in a SPAM folder? Have you ever deleted something you wish you hadn't? The answer is yes. You know you have. 

So, please check your SPAM folders. Please know we are not just being mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment