Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Do You Hate Rejections That Are Not Personal? Consider something....

Over the weekend, I was answering a stack of new submissions. Time and time again, I received queries that were clearly the author's way of just cranking out a lot of submissions at one time. There were the tell-tale signs such as "To Whom It May Concern" or "Dear Editor/Agent." Some simply left out the greeting. I get it. Writing submission letters is not as exciting as creating that story you are trying to get someone to sign. However, this is a necessary evil.

But this also got me thinking about comments I frequently see on social media, on the Internet in general and certainly at conferences. Author get pretty irate with editors and agents when they feel they are getting form letter responses or even no response at all. 

If this is what YOU want, then my question is why aren't YOU taking the time to do what you want us to do.

Now, let m stress one thing. I know when I write rejection letters, I find that there are only so many ways of saying that the story is not what I acquire, or is just not right for me because it is a subjective call. These letters will sound alike.

However, if you are trying to get the attention of an editor or agent, it is crucial that you take the time to show that you have done your research, you know why you are sending the editor or agent a project, and more importantly, to not sound like this is an A.I. generated letter.

Just something to consider. 

1 comment:

  1. Scott- Your post got me thinking. What is your opinion on AI generated content? One of the reasons that I ask is that when you now self-publish a book on Amazon, they ask if any part of the book was generated with AI, they want to know if any of the text/story, the images or the translations and if you say yes, they want to know which application.
    I publish 10,000 to 20,000 word short stories that are fun reads. But I do sometimes use Mid-Journey to help me created the cover picture since I can't draw and am lousy at taking pictures.
    Others I have talked to use AI for the descriptions and back cover blurb. What do you think? Is any of that allowed if you are seeking an agent and/or a traditional publisher?
    I would really like your thoughts. I love writing so even the bits and intro are fun but perhaps my sales is lacking because I am competing against books that AI writes their intro's or the majority of the book. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your insights. I always, always learn something new.

    ReplyDelete