Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thoughts On Steampunk - One agents P.O.V.

Yes, I fully get Steampunk is the hottest new trend out there. But I have to say, IMHO, that if I were giving advice to new writers, I would not recommend jumping on the bandwagon now. In other words, if you aren't already involved with this and have at least one story done, don't start it.

I guess as I look at these stories, I can't help but think about the Chick-lit movement. This little niche market was so focused that it had some limited capacity and ability to morph into some new things. In that case, there were only so many jokes someone could make about Dolce and Gabana without it becoming repetitive. When it comes to Steampunk, I can see the same thing.

Now I might be wrong, so don't get on my case about this. It is again, just one person's perspective.

What I think I want everyone to consider about this genre is the idea of being too niche focused. If you look at the people who have been successful with their writing over the years, you will notice an ability to constantly keep their stories fresh and original, and yet still maintaining that voice that the readers are expecting.

Just something to think about.

Scott

2 comments:

  1. Interesting point. Personally I can't see it ever working out trying to write a novel to fit with current trends. I mean how could you possibly write, revise, sell and print a novel in time to get it on the store shelves before that trend has passed by?

    I think it's better to just try to make your own new trends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comparison to the Chick-lit fade is right on. There's only so much you can do with such a narrowly defined genre and I think it's already becoming stale. Then again I thought the same thing about the vampire trend and it still seems to be going strong.

    ReplyDelete