Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Question from a Writer - On titles

I have a YA paranormal novel I am getting close to either querying agents about or self-publishing but have stumbled across a problem. The title I gave my story has the same name of a new show on SyFy: Being Human. I'd rather not change the title because those two words describe the story perfectly and I've heard author Joe Hill talk about his comic that has the same name of another TV show, The Cape. I need advice. Will this be a problem? Am I out of luck or is the fact that the TV show is a different media mean I can get away with identical titles?

Good question and the answer is simple on this. Don't worry about it.
If you have a publisher that loves your book, they get with their editorial team and their marketing group and decide what title will work best. Sure you might have been sweating bullets over a "great title" but they know what words sell and what works with their target audience.

(Ah, I love those short, simple, and to the point answers.)

Scott

2 comments:

  1. I like simple answers too. Thanks for answering my question quickly Scott. Although I can't guarantee I still won't fret over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, but it's the difficult answers that keep your mind sharp.

    ReplyDelete