Thursday, February 17, 2011

Question from a Writer - Paranormals

You told us yesterday what you liked in a character, based on the romance genre. You're passionate about contemporary romance, but what about for paranormal writers?

You're tired of the werewolf vs vampire/angel vs demon stuff. Every agent seems to be screaming that lately. Cool, I get that. And that's why I write about something completely different.

My questions are simple. What makes you connect with a paranormal story? What would you find so appealing that you'd decide to represent it? What would turn you off?

Good questions!

I love a paranormal where I am sucked into the mystery of this strange world that might be potentially surrounding us in the present day. In many ways, that's what works with a great ghost story. You simply don't know if it is true or not, but there is a part of your brain that keeps you thinking it might be.

I think for me, the stories that turn me off are those that simply come across as truly unbelievable. I have a hard time believing stories where everything is so over the top. I like the subtle approach. I also tend to shy away from stories that sound like everything else out there.

For me, a paranormal needs to be real and believable, and yet unique enough so I don't say to myself "wow, that sounds a lot like a Showalter or Kenyon."

Scott

1 comment:

  1. Scott, I thank you for your insight and respect your point of view.

    Your post makes me struggle with the issue of genre again. See, I am "over the top". What I write borders on the fantastic, and I like it that way. I've often wondered if I should be pitching as fantasy instead of paranormal romance. I thought I had this issue resolved, and extensive reading is not helping.

    I love a story that brings metaphysics to a whole new level and makes me wonder if it's all real of maybe I'm just faking myself out by believing the earthbount illusions. Shock me! Leave me panting, and then teach me that love is the only answer. Give me Steven King. (I'm not even going to touch upon the subject of Showalter or Kenyon.)

    I'm not sure I could do subtle in writing...too eccentric...just ask the seven people staring at me. However, I am attempting a second series that is rather tame for me, what I like to call a down to Earth paranormal. (Put on hold to query more agents.)

    Thank you for your time and your interest in new writers.

    ReplyDelete