Monday, June 13, 2011

First Impressions and the Social Media

Social media is everywhere. People seem to really get into this whole idea of immediate conversations and interactions with people all around the world. While I am far from someone who is against the idea, I do think there is something people seem to forget. Things being typed in the computer lack the personality behind it. Needless to say, what you type might not be what you say. And, in the end, the impression people have of you might not be the reality.

I have mentioned this before here on the blog, but I want to remind you of it again. The Head and Shoulders commercial stated, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression." How true this is.

When it comes to the things you say on the social media, the impression people have of you may be completely opposite of who you really are. I know for myself, there are numerous writers, editors and agents that I have quit "following", not because of what they say, but how it comes across. One in particular, who I have met at conferences, seemed to come across as doing nothing but complaining about everything in the business. In fact, there were times that I could almost guess who that person was talking about. Uncool.

We have to remember that we cannot take things back once we hit the "submit" button on the computer. Oh, we can try, but by then, the damage may have already been done.

Just something to think about on a Monday morning.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment