Friday, July 8, 2011

When It Is Time To Say Goodbye

Sorry for the delay in getting this written. I really thought I was ahead of the game on this. Ugh. This is clearly what happens when you have too many things on the TO DO list.

When it is time to part ways with your agent, I have to say, it is always difficult. This is someone you have worked with for some time. You have shared thoughts and ideas. You have laughed together and cryed together of those rejection letters. Still, things like this happen.

I do know there are some agents out there that really get bitter if a writer "fires" them. There is this sense of betrayal and resentment. The agents feel as if all of their hard work was not worth anything. For me, however, I don't see it that way.

I want to see writers become success stories. I want them fulfill their dreams. Sometimes, there are simply situations when one or both members of the relationship just can't get things to work right. Maybe it is communication issues of trying to get the right ideas into the story. Maybe it is simply a turning point in the author's career. Regardless, things change and it is OK.

The key to making this separation work though is honesty and professionalism. I know that I have been very fortunate. Any author that has worked for me is still part of my history. And if they ever need anything, all they have to do is ask.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment