Friday, March 6, 2020

Regarding the RWA: Something To Think About

There are a lot of motivational quotes that I always come back to. One of my favorites is about stones:

A stone can be a stepping stone, or a stumbling block. It can be a stone for creation or a stone for destruction.

I was very excited to see the number of authors stepping up to work with the Romance Writers of America to get over these hurdles and tough times. These authors found a way to contribute and to make an organization that has helped so many published authors find success in this tough business. I congratulate these people for being that stepping stone.

And yet, I have always found it interesting that there were also many who screamed and yelled and yet, were not on that list. I do not know why they were not there, but I find it frustrating. It is always easy to say things but it is always harder to step forward and do something about it.

I remember my wife talking about a colleague she had at a local college. This particular professor would sit in staff meetings and find something wrong with every plan, complain about a new curriculum or instructional model, and yet, when it came down to it, never once provided a solution.

I am not someone who says we should all just be happy and accept things the way they are. I am someone who does believe if something is not working, and I can provide something to assist to make it better, it is my responsibility to help out if I can.

Again, I want to congratulate all of those people who stepped up to help at the National level. I want to also thank those local writing chapters for being there to find solutions and help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment