Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Read Those Responses From Editors And Agents

OK, let me first state that many of you are already screaming. "I never get a response back from an editor or agent." I get it! Trust me! The publishing world has gotten so large lately that many editors and agents have taken the approach of "If you don't hear from me, it is a no." Personally, as you know because I have mentioned it here before, I don't agree with that for several reasons. First is that with the way new technology works, there are a lot of times when emails from even our trusted friends get into the SPAM folder. Totally sucks! But secondly, I think at least a single message of "It is not right for me" is fine. We would like a more detailed answer but at least we know it made it.

Now that we have that out of our system, let's talk about those responses. 

Don't rush through the response and move right into the ranting about how the editor or agent just didn't get it. Stop and really read the message. There might be a lot there to work with. Consider the following ideas:

  • "I am going to pass on this because it is not right for my line." This is telling you that you sent it to the wrong publisher. It's time to get out there and really research those publishers again. Read what they write and see exactly how your story fits or doesn't fit with what they do.
  • "I am going to pass on this because it had too category of a voice." Again, this is another get out and research moment. In this case, you have a voice that fits with a series or category line, but you have tried to send it to a publisher who writes larger single title stories. 
  • "I am going to pass on this one. I felt that the conflict was not strong enough." Plotting issue here. You may have a conflict but maybe this is more of a complication. If the conflict is too easy to fix, then you have a problem.
  • "I really like your voice, but the plot is something that we cannot sell right now." In this case, there could be a couple of issues. The first is that maybe this is not something that the publisher is currently selling. Look at the placement. Some places sell western based stories well. Others do not. On a second level, take a look at the market and see if the general public is not buying this type of story. That might tell you something.
  • "I am going to pass on this one. I felt like you were trying to do too much with the story." This is one I write a lot. In this case, it is again a plotting issue. You have tried to throw way too many issues into the story to add depth. Now the story is all over the place. I always recommend focusing on one issue and stick with just that. Just do it well!
These are just a few, but hopefully you are getting the idea. There are probably little nuggets in those messages that will give you a hint as to what to do. Work with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment