Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Blurbs and Queries - Don't Just Ask Questions

I recently ran into a stack of submissions where, either in their query letter, or in their "blurb" about their book, instead of telling me about their story, these authors simply asked questions. These were questions, I know the author wanted us to "think about" but in the end, I was left with one big question: "What on Earth is the story about?" Let me explain...

This is 100% made up so if the story line sounds stupid, understand it is not to sell you a great story but just to give you a sense of what I was seeing.

Alien Vampire Bunnies in Suburbia is a 85,000 word Inspirational Erotica exploring the strange and wonderful world of Victoria Bitemore. Waking up one more she started to wonder. What should I do with my life? Where should I go from here? Even after talking to her pet tarantula, Peter, she began to wonder, is my life supposed to focus on a life of loneliness? Enter Fiver Epimetheus. During a cold morning of wandering through the suburban gardens of East Plasmica, he became fascinated with a young girl beyond a window. What would a world be like with her? Could his existence be more than what he is living now. And when they do finally meet, the question is, can a life be possible for two different individuals? Is there love and passion hidden behind their secrets?

Get the idea?

Sure, you might use questions like this to set up how YOU want to write your novel, but in the end, I have absolutely no clue what the heck you are writing about.

The purpose of this blurb is to tell me EXACTLY what your story is about. If you are thinking I will be so intrigued and want to know more about this mystical tale of whatever, the answer will be NO. 

You just earned yourself a rejection!


No comments:

Post a Comment