Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Quit Thinking AI Will Get You A Contract

Look, I get that AI is the new in-thing out there. I get it that so many people seem to think that using AI to write their query letters will speed up the process and get remarkable responses. Sorry to say it, but it won't. You here me all the time saying, it takes time and it takes work to be successful as a writer.

I did a quick run of making up a query letter using an AI App. Here is the result:

Subject: Query for Contemporary Romance Novel: “Hearts on the Range”

Dear Mr. Eagan,

I hope this email finds you well. My name is [Your Name], and I am excited to introduce my contemporary romance novel, “Hearts on the Range,” which is approximately 73,000 words long.

About the Novel: “Hearts on the Range” is set against the rugged backdrop of Wyoming, where a hardened rancher and a spirited school teacher find themselves entangled in a passionate and unexpected love affair. As they navigate the challenges of life on the open range, they discover that love can bloom even in the harshest of landscapes.

Why Greyhaus Literary Agency: I have chosen Greyhaus Literary Agency specifically because of your agency’s unwavering commitment to romance and women’s fiction. Your focus on these genres aligns perfectly with the heart of my novel, and I believe that “Hearts on the Range” would be a great fit for your list.

Author Background: I hold a BA in English . My passion for storytelling drives me, and I am an active member of the Romance Writers of America. “Hearts on the Range” is my third completed novel, and I am eager to find the right home for it.

Closing: I have attached the first three chapters of “Hearts on the Range” to this email for your consideration. I would be honored if you would take a moment to review them. If you require any additional materials or have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to the possibility of working with Greyhaus Literary Agency.

Sincerely, [Your Full Name] [Your Email Address] [Your Phone Number]

So, here is what I would say immediately about this AI composed letter. I am rejecting it.

Now, I get that the program had to insert information that I did not give it, such as the title, but let's get to the real part of this letter:

There is no personality. I have no sense of you as an author. This reads simply as if you are sending this to any editor or agent who is breathing, and probably to those not breathing. 

The blurb tells me nothing. I have no sense of why this is going to stand out among all of the other projects out there. 

You state you chose me because the genres I represent fit with your story. Again, is this something I actually like? 

You have already attached the first three chapters to the email even though I am very explicit that I don't want that material. 

Your bio gives me nothing to work with. Even stating this is your third novel, I have no idea if the other stories have sold or if these are books you would want me to consider.

This letter, in simple terms is milk toast. 



You look blah and like all of the other blah authors out there. 

Consider this. SHOW me you are a great author. If you have to use AI to write an email then clearly you are not an great author. You knew how to type into your AI Bot a phrase (Heck, you probably used Speech To Text). 

I would also add that even if you did get your feet in the door of an agency or publisher, you will not know how to truthfully write the next book, complete the revisions and all of the other things a true author would know to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment