Saturday, May 4, 2024

Queries and Submissions OH MY!

I thought I would give you an update on the whole submission process now that I am using Query Manager as well.

So, the same problems are continuing. Authors are submitting to the agency and then turning around a day or two later and submitting on Query Manager. I am sure some of these authors are submitting to immediately to another site because they didn't get an answer in 24 hours. Authors, please understand that reading submissions is a secondary activity for editors and agents. We focus most of our attention on working with our current clients. DO NOT expect an answer immediately.

I am also seeing the same thing as we talked about before. Authors are submitting the same story but trying to put it under another name and/or another title. Not going to happen. Time for a rejection letter.

And as always, I received multiple submissions on projects I had already rejected months or even years ago. These authors are hyping the story up as a novel they had just written. Not going to work either.

Now, let's talk about the other approach authors continue to take. Authors will often write that one query letter labeled, DEAR EDITOR/AGENT, save it as a PDF file and just attach it to an email. You might as well just label this as "I have mass mailed this to everyone who is breathing." I have talked about this before, but you have to write these query letters just like you would write a cover letter. You write the letter specifically to the editor or agent you want to read it, demonstrating how you fit exactly what they are looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment