Friday, July 12, 2024

Something To Consider About Simultaneous Submissions

I am going to keep this one short and sweet today.

Agents and editors fully know that you are not just sending your project only to us. You are sending it out to other editors and agents...

And that is just fine!

But this is what I want you to remember. If you send me a project and I love it, and I want to offer representation, you should be fine with that. For me (and I am assuming other agents do the same thing), I am not going to offer you representation until I have had a chance to talk to you and for you to ask me questions. We should all be on the same page after that talk. But...

If I do that, and then you respond that you have tour manuscript out with other agents you just told me that I was not your first choice. You want something better.

I have even gotten emails from authors who, after I have asked to read a partial, they email me and tell me they have been offered representation somewhere else, but they still want me to respond. When this happens, I tell them to take the offer. 

This communication you are sending out to the agents doesn't really give us a sense that you are in it for the long haul, or that you really want to be with that person. What this tells us is that you simply went through a list, sent it out to anyone with a pulse and haven't done your research.

My recommendation on this is simple. Who you send that project to, SHOULD be people you want to work with. If any of those people reach out to you positively, don't mess around with other people. You have already vetted these people. You know what you are getting. Besides, as a new author, you don't have any room for negotiation. Agent contracts are pretty standard. 15% commission and we will work with your on your project and push to get it sold. We are here for you, not just for this project, but for other projects in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment