Friday, August 30, 2024

Persistence is Key But Learn To Adapt

I love hearing at conferences the competition between authors about how many rejections they have received. It almost seems like a badge of honor to claim you have hit triple digits when it comes to submissions. Honestly, this might mean that you might be doing something wrong. 

I have talked in the past about submitting to the wrong people or screwing up query letters, but there could be another issue at play. Potentially, you are just doing the same wrong thing over and over again. Let me explain.

I get a lot of people who have submitted to me in the past, I pass on a project for some reason, but then they keep submitting new projects, and each one is doing the same thing that the first story did. What is happening here is simple. The author is not learning from his or her mistakes. I don't think this quote originated with this person, but I know he has used the statement in the past. Dave Ramsey states, "If you keep doing the same thing, you'll always get the same outcome."

What authors need to do is learn to adapt, grow and change. 

If you have written a story following a "formula" or "pattern" that you think you see in a particular genre or line (such as Harlequin Presents) and that is not working, going back and writing a new story using the same model you used the last time is probably going to fail again. If I pass on your story because your conflict is entirely external and there is no reason why the characters just don't get together, writing another story that uses the same pattern is going to get you... Yes, another rejection.

Now, I do want to stress that to make those changes requires getting feedback from those editors and agents. And yes, I know there are editors and agents who won't send a letter back if you pass on them. The same goes for those of you using Query Manager. You send that form to me, I have a form response of why I am going to pass on your story. HOWEVER, if you reach out directly to me, there is a better chance you might get additional feedback because I am responding directly to you, instead of going through a third party. Regardless, you need to be tracking those responses and making your next project adapt and change. 

I should note, I said you NEXT project. Going back and constantly revising the same manuscript with every rejection is going to lead to more problems. Think of it this way. When your fridge dies, repair people will often say it is cheaper to get a new one instead of going the repair route. 

Just some thing to consider! Have a great long Labor Day weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment