Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Should You Resubmit A Rejected Project To The Same Editor/Agent?

I am often asked this question at conferences. If an editor or agent passes on my project, should I make those revisions and sent it back to them? 

This is a great question, and certainly one you should always ask, especially if you feel that the changes could be made, AND, that this is the dream editor/agent.

The answer is... It All Depends On The Editor Or Agent.

For me here at Greyhaus, I have I have made it a policy to not look at revisions. I personally think that spending that time for one person is too big of a gamble. However, I do always tell people to please consider submitting a different project later (not the same one you just renamed). If that other project works, we can always go back and revisit the first one when we have some time. And that has happened for me. 

I would also add that unless the editor or agent has given you extensive (and I do stress extensive) revision notes, you are taking a guess as to what we might be looking for. Again, this is time you will not get back as you work over that manuscript again and again thinking you have it, when in reality, the problem might have been something that would have never worked. 

When I look at a project, especially one where I have asked for a partial or a full, I always try to think if there is an issue I believe can be remedied, and more importantly, if I see something in the writer that I do believe in and would be willing to devote the time to get it right. As a reminder, agents do not make any money until we sell that manuscript. So, is this something that might be an easy change or one that would require a full re-write, from what I see.

Also remember that just because I see an issue does not mean another editor or agent would see it the same way. This is that subjective nature of the business. 

Still, if you think you have figured it out, and if you are really eager to move forward with that editor or agent, take the time to first email and ask. Don't just dive ahead, devote that time, only to find out they were not going to look at the revision. If they say, no to that email, don't stress! Thank them for their time, and use that new information on the next project you want to send to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment