Friday, July 31, 2026

Time To Get Those Kids Reading! PROMOTE LITERACY... PLEASE!

It's back to school season! Yes, the parents love this time, except for all of the buying that is taking place. All of the whining and complaining they have been hearing now for the last month of "I'm bored" because they have now beaten every video game on their phone has worn them out. Let the teachers babysit them now for next 180 days! 

But wait, don't give up on me yet. I need you all to listen to me now. This is the time to make a big push! It is time to start pushing reading. 

Ugh, I know they are going to start complaining, but don't give up. We can all do this! I promise!

Let me first say that the teachers, in most K-12 schools these days are not pushing reading the way they used to in the past. Oh sure, they say they are, but the reality is, it is not happening as much as we think it is. Trust me, I am in the classroom and I see it. I used to teach 8-10 novels a year and now I am told to ONLY teach 1 novel a year and, by the way, I cannot send it home as homework and the reading "has to be done in the classroom." REALLY?

So it is up to the home to take care of it!

Now, here is something to remember. First, statistically, we all will gain 10,000 words a year in vocabulary if we read 30 minutes a day outside of work (for kids this is school). So that means, adults, get those books and start reading! We also know that reading does help reduce stress and is beneficial to our health. 

So, how do we get the kids to read. LET THEM PICK THE BOOKS!

Don't be like the teachers and the librarians and tell them what to read. I have colleagues who tell them what genres to read, or you can only read in this "Lexile range" because that is all you are capable of reading. Librarians will tell kids they cannot read certain books because it is "too mature for them." 

I would put on my New Jersey dialect here but "Fuh get about it!" Let 'em pick! If kids have an interest in something let them read it!

As for you adults, don't tell the kids to read and you just sit there on your phone or watch tv. You read too! Model good behavior.

BUT SCOTT... I don't have kids...

or

BUT SCOTT... I am just an author...


SO WHAT! Go and support a school. If you are author, volunteer to come in and talk to the schools about your writing process. Volunteer to go to the local libraries and give talks there. If you are an adult, volunteer to read, or heck, even go and donate books to the libraries. Look funding sucks for public education and they will take whatever! I promise.

Just promote literacy will you!

PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE

No comments:

Post a Comment