Wednesday, March 22, 2023

How To Know What's Hot and What's Not?

You are trying to determine if the story you want to write, or the story you have written is really marketable. How do you do it?

Too often, this is what I hear from authors. 

I know from talking to people that they really want to see a story about this. OK, that sounds good, but the question is, who did you talk to? How many people have you had this discussion with? In many ways, this is what we look at when we evaluate if a survey is legitimate. If you don't check with a large number of people from a diverse background, then that information is not that accurate. For example, if I were to want to write a lot of fictional stories about crocheting, and I talk to the other members of my crochet club, would they be potentially interested? Sure. (Of course they could be saying that because they like you). The real question is, are there easily 50,000-100,000 people out there who would actually invest in money in buying the book? My bet, probably not.

Here is another one. "I have gone to the bookstore and there are no books out there about my topic. Clearly there is a need for this book"

Orrrrrrr........

There are no books out there because people are not buying the book. This is more likely the case. 

What's hot is what people are watching on TV, what they are seeing in the movies, what they are discussing actively (and enjoying talking about) is what we are referring to as being hot. Look, were a lot of people talking about Covid-19 when it was happening? Sure. Are they talking about it because it is enjoyable? I seriously doubt it. We are looking for general public trends.

We also have to consider if this is a topic that people would really want to read. I see a lot of stories that show up that I am thinking, why, on earth would anyone want to read that? Sure, it is different, but it is just weird. Of course, at the time of writing this, I can't come up with one, but I am sure you know what I mean. 

The key is to look at the world around you. Also, consider if there are actually any publishers with lines that are focusing in on that genre or topic, or even have sold books in that area.

That is going to tell you A LOT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment